Former Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko was dramatically transferred to Kamiti Maximum GK Prison for possible detention ahead of his appearance in Kiambu court on Thursday.
One of his lawyers Assa Nyakundi said he was headed to Kamiti and was informed Sonko was scheduled to face terrorism-related charges.
“There is a huge traffic jam but I am told he is already at Kamiti waiting for a possible arrangement. We are informed police have sworn an affidavit seeking to hold him for 30 days over terrorism-related charges,” said Nyakundi.
He said police sped off from Milimani law courts and Sonko’s lawyers lost track of the vehicle.
Sonko is being guarded by officers from the Anti-Terrorism Police Unit.
Sonko had earlier appeared at the Milimani law courts for corruption-related charges.
Chief magistrate Douglas Ogoti directed that he be taken to Gigiri cells ahead of his appearance in Kiambu over his application to be released on bail.
Sonko has been accused of recruiting a militia that is likely to destabilize security.
- Dandora sex worker accuses violent prison warder of taking long in the act, drags him to police station
- Mike Sonko Wealth, He owns Assets Worth Ksh 20 Billion
- Aliingiza yote nikiona, then nikasikia bibi akisema,nimeinua,zama ndani sasa,katambe.Tears Started Flowing and I was forced to Do This!!!
- COVID-19 Cases in Kenya: Kenya records 404 new cases, 527 recoveries and 11 deaths
- Vera Sidika confirms she’s pregnant, plans party